Junior Sous Chef – Local Candidates Only – (in English)
Assist in the management of Kitchen Operations and be in charge of the day to day operations of respective kitchen in the hotel.
The job of Junior Sous Chef is executed satisfactorily when:
- Outstanding culinary technical skills are maintained.
- Effective employee working relationships are established and maintained.
- Familiarity with property safety, first aid and fire and emergency procedures is demonstrated and equipment is operated safely and sensibly.
- HACCP is implemented and practiced.
- Help to direct, control and co-ordinate the activities of all Chefs and kitchen attendants, engaged in preparing and cooking food, so as to ensure an efficient, profitable and smooth food service, at all times.
- In charge of all respective kitchen work.
- Inspect storerooms, refrigerators and freezers daily, to prevent wastage.
- Assist the Sous Chef to control cost by minimizing spoilage, utilizing food surpluses and practicing portion control.
- Check the quality and quantity of food received from the markets and stores.
- Always look for cost saving and environmental ideas.
- Assist in the operation of their outlet/dependant outlets, at an acceptable food and staff cost.
- Maximize employee’s productivity, in order to minimize payroll cost.
- Monitor all Kitchen operating costs and take corrective action, when necessary to reduce expenses.
- Ensure that all food is prepared and served according to the standards set by the Executive Chef.
- Produce and check preparation and presentation of food.
- Make sure standard recipes are used, and food is presented according to pictorials.
- Make sure that all machines, furniture (fridges, benches, etc.), equipment and utensils are clean and in working condition at all times. Check all assigned areas in regards to sanitation and hygiene, to prevent contamination of any kind.
- Ensure the Kitchen complies with health and safety standards as to prevent accidents.
- Participate in the Sous Chefs meeting when Sous Chef not on duty.
- Ensure lines of communication within the outlet kitchen are effective.
- Maintain interdepartmental communication to avoid frictions of any kind.
- Represent the culinary team in an absolute correct manner when in the public areas.
- Assist in staff training in conjunction with the Training Department and Departmental Trainers.
- Maximise employee productivity and moral, and consistently maintain discipline, following hotel guidelines and local legislation.
- Motivate all staff to perform their duties by demonstrating professionalism, organisational skill and team spirit.
- Ensure all staff adheres to grooming and presentation standards.
- Report all accidents, health and safety hazards to Executive Chef.
- Follow up and keep a tidy control over function and event orders.
- In charge of food requisitions, orders and inter-kitchen transfers.
- Instigate maintenance requests if necessary, and check on completion.
- Responsible for the Duty Roster, Staff Leave and Attendance Record.
- Demonstrate Awareness of OH&S policies and procedures and ensure all procedures are conducted safely and within OH&S guidelines and ensure your direct reports do the same.
- Be aware of duty of care and adhere to occupational, health and safety legislation, policies and procedures.
- Be familiar with property safety, first aid and fire and emergency procedures and operate equipment safely and sensibly.
- Initiate action to correct a hazardous situation and notify supervisors of potential dangers.
- Log security incidents and accidents in accordance with hotel requirements.
Additional responsibilities and tasks can be added at any time according to the needs of the business and of the hotel.
Positive, friendly, professional and confident, with good interpersonal skills.
Ideally you will have at least 4 years in a similar role
The ability to work effectively in a team environment
Familiar with HACCP requirements
Knowledge of Health and Safety rules and procedures
The Capitol Kempinski Hotel Singapore
May 05, 2022