The overall scope of the job includes serving food and beverages to guests in the assigned place of work, providing a courteous, professional, efficient and flexible service consistent with the standards of the hotel and Kempinski in order to encourage sales and maximize guest satisfaction.
The job of Sommelier is executed satisfactorily when:
All rules & regulations are strictly adhered within the hotel including hotel’s policy on fire and safety as well as hygiene regulations including HACCP.
The sales are driven to the outlet’s full potential and that budget is adhered to.
A High quality of product and service is never compromised in the outlet.
The outlet is developed in an entrepreneurial manner, looking for opportunities to generate more business at all times.
Innovation and new ideas are fostered, collected and communicated to the Head of Department.
The growth of internal talent within the outlet is successfully implemented.
- Responsible to Chef Sommelier / Restaurant Manager.
- Report to duty punctually wearing the correct uniform, clean and well pressed including appropriate shoes (polished) and nametag at all times according to the hotels dress code & Kempinski grooming standards, maintaining a high standard of personal appearance and hygiene at all times.
- A courteous, professional and efficient service is provided at all times.
- All duties and tasks are performed as per the tasks required at the outlet.
- Be knowledgeable of all services and products offered by the hotel.
- Have a thorough knowledge and understanding of all food and beverage items offered by the department assigned.
- Have the knowledge and understanding to explain and perform upselling all items offered by the department assigned as well as offering alternatives.
- Monitor operating supplies, equipment and reduce spoilage and wastage successfully.
- Ensure that the place of work and surrounding area is kept clean and organized at all times.
- Successfully perform opening and closing procedures established for the assigned outlet
- Handle guest enquiries in a courteous and efficient manner and report guest complaints and feedback to supervisors.
- Report guest complaints immediately to the supervisors and ensuring follow up is performed with the guest.
- Being knowledgeable to operate the existing POS system based on the trained responsibility level as assigned in the department.
- Understand and strictly adhere to the rules & regulations established in the hotel’s policy manual and the hotel’s policy on fire, hygiene, health & safety.
- Maintain a good rapport and work relation with staff in the assigned department and within the hotel.
- Attend and contribute to all staff meetings, departmental trainings and hotel initiated trainings scheduled.
- Undertake reasonable tasks and secondary duties as assigned by the Department Head.
- Respond to any changes in the department as dictated by the hotel management.
- Assist in carrying out scheduled inventories of products and operating equipment.
- Perform any other assigned reasonable duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Project at all times a positive and motivated attitude and exercise self-control.
- Have an excellent understanding of food in general, ingredients and preparations to ensure the right wine can be recommended.
- Have an excellent understanding of today’s wine trends, ratings as well as understands the business and regularly develops further to gain greater knowledge.
- Have an excellent understanding of wines, the wine service and is able to hold trainings to the team to encourage sales.
- Be able to control stocks, produce efficient costing of wines as well as perform excellent recommendations to guests.
- Be knowledgeable about Wine Service and Wine production
- Be fully knowledgeable about grapes and grape varieties.
- Have accomplished all internal wine trainings offered by the hotel.
- Have accomplished external wine trainings through organizations and suppliers.
Additional responsibilities and tasks can be added at any time according to the needs of the business and of the hotel.
The Capitol Kempinski Hotel Singapore
Team Leader/Skilled Professional
Jan 06, 2021